This page will be updated often.
SOME RADISH INFORMATION
• Radical and Radish both share the same root word. Radishes are the “root” of a plant, and radicals wish to change the “root” of the political system.
• The radish (Raphanus sativus) is an edible root vegetable of the Brassicaceae family that was domesticated in Europe in pre-Roman time. They are grown and consumed throughout the world. Radishes have numerous varieties, varying in size, color and duration of required cultivation time. There are some radishes that are grown for their seeds; oilseed radishes are grown, as the name implies, for oil production.
• Broadly speaking, radishes can be categorized into four main types (summer, fall, winter, and spring) and a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes, such as red, pink, white, gray-black or yellow radishes, with round or elongated roots that can grow longer than a parsnip.
• The most commonly eaten portion is the napiform taproot, although the entire plant is edible and the tops can be used as a leaf vegetable.
• The bulb of the radish is usually eaten raw, although tougher specimens can be steamed. The raw flesh has a crisp texture and a pungent, peppery flavor, caused by glucosinolates and the enzyme myrosinase which combine when chewed to form allyl isothiocyanates , also present in mustard, horseradish and wasabi.
• Radishes are suggested as an alternative treatment for a variety of ailments including whooping cough, cancer, coughs, gastric discomfort, liver problems, constipation, dyspepsia, gallbladder problems, arthritis, gallstones, kidney stones and intestinal parasites.
• The seeds of the Raphanus sativus species can be pressed to extract seed oil. Wild radish seeds contain up to 48% oil content, and while not suitable for human consumption the oil is a potential source of biofuel.
• Citizens of Oaxaca, Mexico celebrate the radish in a festival called Noche de los Rábanos (Night of the Radishes) on December 23 as a part of Christmas La Navidad celebrations. Locals carve religious and popular figures out of radishes and display them in the town square. (see images)
• Aardvarks are allergic to radishes, but only during summer months.
• If you dream about radishes, expect small pleasures in the near future. Eating radishes in the dream means that you are angry with someone’s sharp and critical remarks. The radish cold also indicate a love affair about which you fell uncertain.